Electronic products require several permanent marks for traceability and operation and laser meets the high volume and repeatability demands in examples such as:
- CE and ratings data directly on plastic housings of hairdryers, shavers, music players and other consumer durables.
- Electronic components such as capacitors and relays have performance data and specifications etched directly.
- Keyboards, electronic device control buttons and mobile phone keypads use laser-created graphics and alphanumerics.
- Printed circuit boards have 1D and 2D tracking codes marked by laser onto them either directly or via laser-etched tracking labels.
- Sensor body marking with logos and user information.
Fine Laser Cutting
Rofin’s wide range of laser sources, spanning most wavelengths and pulse durations allows Rofin to meet the challenges that new electronic devices present. Cutting of micro SD cards, printed circuit boards, heating elements and degating of mobile phone mouldings are examples laser solutions to high volume, precision electronics manufacturing.
Lasers can also be controlled to cut only partially or to reach a layer beneath, for example in wire stripping or coating removal applications
Fine Laser Welding
Fine joining processes to spot or seam weld electronic housings for consumer electronics is increasing both in plastic and metal devices. Examples of laser welding applications in this market include:
- MP3 player seam welding
- Battery sealing, tab welding and ball-sealing after filling.
- Sensor housings are hermetically sealed – both metal and plastic bodies.
- Plastic welding in pharmaceutical drug delivery devices and fluid filters